K rock Football

Tigers hold firm to stay alive

Grovedale coach Daniel Fraser. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

GROVEDALE has overcome a slow start and a relentless North Shore to stay within striking distance of the GFL top five.

The Tigers claimed their fifth win of the season with a thrilling 15.14 (104) to 15.10 (100) victory at Windsor Park.

The Seagulls had late chances to win the game, but the Grovedale defence, led by captain Brady Campi and fellow young gun Harrison Whyte, held firm.

“Early in the last quarter, we got out to a three or four-goal lead, and I felt if we could have got the next one, we would have broken them,” Fraser said.

“But, we were unable to get that next goal on the board, and, to North Shore’s credit, they just kept coming at us and got a couple in a row and made things pretty tight.

“We were able to hang on, and when the siren went, we were still in front.”

Fraser was pleased Grovedale could claim another tight win despite missing key personnel, including Cam and Tim Delaney.

“Sam Walker made his debut yesterday, Joel Martyn’s in his second game,” he said.

“Those young kids who have shown some good form in the twos are getting an opportunity, and they get to play senior footy in a close game, and it increases the depth at our footy club.

“It is pleasing to get the job done, and we’re also excited that those young kids have got an opportunity to play senior footy.”

Fraser was especially impressed with co-captain Campi.

“He’s in good form,” Fraser said. “His last weeks have been fantastic.

“I think Brady would be more than comfortable saying he had a slow start to the year.

“But, there’s a reason why we made him captain of the footy club, and I thought his response from a slow start to the year’s been good.

“And he probably doesn’t get the credit that he deserves. He’s been fantastic.”

For North Shore, consecutive four-point losses have put finals out of reach.

Cooper Langan replicated his brother Mitch’s seven-goal haul from Round 1.

Elsewhere, Leopold has climbed to within percentage of third spot after a dominant second-half performance against Bell Park.

The Lions kicked nine goals to two in the second half at Memorial Park to claim a percentage-boosting 76-point victory, 18.19 (127) to 7.9 (51).

Adelaide recruit Jake Pitt produced his best performance for the club with five goals, while Harris Jennings contributed three.

Jack Fischer and Nick Petering managed two goals for the Dragons, whose finals hopes are all but dashed.

Colac maintained second spot on the ladder with a comfortable 78-point win over Lara at Central Reserve.

With club great Kane Leersen making his senior return from a knee reconstruction, the Tigers were in control from the outset on their way to a 20.17 (137) to 9.5 9590 victory.

Dean Felekos kicked four goals, and Dustin Walters contributed three, with Brody Mahoney and Tom Rienets Colac’s best.

In his second GFL senior game, teenager Zekiah Davey was a shining light for the Cats with three goals.

The double-chance is again a real possibility for St Joseph’s after it made light work of St Albans at The Gordon Tafe Oval.

Joeys dominated the Supersaints from the outset on their way to a 98-point win, 19.12 (126) to 4.4 (28).

James Gow and Callum Mitchell kicked four goals for St Joseph’s, while Hayden Elliott was the only multiple goalkicker for St Albans with two.

South Barwon has extended its winning streak over Geelong West to 19, following an 18-point win under lights at West Oval.

The Swans trailed by 23 points at quarter time but held the Giants to just two goals from that point on to claim a 9.16 (70) to 7.10 (52) victory that keeps it one game outside the top five.

Taylor Mulraney claimed the inaugural Andrew Gribble Medal as best-on-ground, with seven goals between James Syddall (four) and Andrew Boseley (three) crucial.

Twitter: @tom_king79