K rock Football

Blood cleared of serious damage

JACK Blood has been released from hospital after being cleared of serious injury following a collision between the St Mary’s young gun and a St Albans opponent that led to the early end of the GFL clash at The Gordon TAFE Oval.

Co-coach Travis Robertson says the accidental impact occurred around 15 minutes into the third quarter of Saturday’s match, with the Saints leading by 17 points, 9.7 (61) to 7.2 (44)

“They appeared to clash heads when they were going for the footy inside the St Albans forward 50,” Robertson said.

“Jack went down on his back and we weren’t really sure what it was.

“But he was sore in his neck and had a tingly feeling in his left arm, so our trainers didn’t want to move him.

“They called the ambulance straight away and we had to wait 25 minutes for that to arrive.

“By the time they assessed him we had gone past that 30-minute time, so the umpires called the game (off).”


Robertson says there were some nervous moments for everyone involved, but the tingling feeling subsided while Blood was in the hospital.

“He had all the x-rays and CT scans when he was in there last night and (he) was given the all-clear,” Robertson said.

“I’ve experienced it with Tom McArlein at Geelong Amateur; he fractured his neck.

“It awful; you just don’t know, and you can fear the worst.

“Thank God, he was able to move his feet and legs at the time, so that was also encouraging.”

Adding further drama to the situation is the fact Blood’s parents are currently on holiday in Europe, with Saints’ officials in constant contact last night.

“We were communicating with them, which would have been pretty awful for them being so far away,” Robertson said.

St Mary’s will receive the four points with the game having passed the halfway stage, keeping alive its final hopes.

However, Robertson described the victory as “hollow”.

“We were three goals up and St Albans were making a good game of it,” he said. “They would have had a shot at goal to bring it back to 11 points.

“There was no singing of the song or anything like that.”

Twitter: @tom_king79
Email: [email protected]