K rock Football

Milestone man impresses

Teammates mob 150-gamer Jesse Dawson following a goal in Torquay’s 30-point win over Barwon Heads. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

TORQUAY coach Dom Gleeson has heaped praise on milestone man Jesse Dawson following Saturday’s 30-point win over fellow premiership contender Barwon Heads at Howard Harmer Oval.

In his 150th appearance for the Tigers, Dawson was a standout as the visitors claimed a 14.12 (96) to 9.12 (66) victory to open up a two-game buffer on the Seagulls.

“Jesse was sensational yesterday,” Gleeson said.

“Our players give an award out where they vote for one player who they thought epitomised how wanted to go about it, and Jess won that on his milestone day, which was outstanding for him.

“He’s a great person to have the club and is always first to put his hand up when something needs to be done on or off the field.”

Despite the win, Gleeson is well aware Barwon Heads was missing some key personnel, with premiership six Mitch Herbison, Mat Dyer, Mitch Phelps, Brock Close and the Harvey brothers – Ryan and Brad – among those sidelined.

“They were outstanding,” he said. “A lot of young boys running around.

“They spread us, and they play their gound brilliantly.

“For me, to come away with a win, I was really pleased.

“We were disappointed with our first half. But, to get that ascendency back and get some hands on the footy and move the ball the way we wanted, it was a great win.”

The win keeps Torquay within a game of ladder-leader Drysdale with six rounds remaining.

The two clubs meet after the bye in a clash likely to determine the minor premiership, with the Tigers’ percentage superior to the Hawks.


In other games, Modewarre pulled to within a game of third-place following a relatively comfortable win over Queenscliff at Queenscliff Recreation Reserve.

Thanks to seven goals from Tom Hornsey and six from Connor Joseph, the Warriors led at every change to claim a 48-point win, 18.14 (122) to 10.14 (74).

Tom Dickinson managed three goals for the Coutas, who remain half a game outside the top five despite the loss.

Drysdale claimed its 12th consecutive win, beating Geelong Amateur by 63 points at KFC Oval.

Mat Hebbard became the first BFL player to reach the half-century, with an eight-goal haul taking him to 53 for the season, in the 20.13 (133) to 10.10 (70) result.

James Breust and Bailey Sykes finished with three goals apiece, while Chris Lynch and Nick Egan were instrumental in the win.

Brydon Barnett, Max Hungerford and James Lee each kicked two goals for Ammos.

Anglesea kept its finals hopes well and truly alive with a come-from-behind six-point win over Ocean Grove at Ray Menzies Oval.

Trailing the Grubbers by 17 points at three-quarter time, the Roos stormed home with a six-goal to two final term to claim a 17.8 (110) to 16.8 (110) victory.

The win has Anglesea just two points behind the fifth-placed Geelong Amateur.

Ben Jaska (five goals) and midfielder Lewis Beers were the standouts for the Roos.

Mitch Taylor kicked a team-high three goals for Ocean Grove, with Tom Chalkley and Josh Horton almost getting the home team over the line.

Newcomb had little trouble registering its third win of the season, beating Portarlington by 102 points at PlasterCom Oval.

Andrew Steels (five) and Jack Duke (four) combined for nine goals in the 15.26 (116) to 2.2 (14) victory.

Matt Walson and Mason Andrews were the standouts for the Power.

The Demons’ goals came in the last quarter from Harry Vella and Nathan Cini, with former captain Will Foott impressing his first game back since Round 7.

Twitter: @tom_king79