K rock Football

Shore undecided on Sam’s fate

Former North Shore coach Sam Darley speaks with his assistants at training. (krockfootball.com.au Image/Al Packer)

WANTAWAY former North Shore coach Sam Darley is no certainty to line-up with North Hobart in 2019 according to Seagulls’ president Dale Purcell.

Darley, who sensationally quit the club last week citing family reasons, is contracted at Windsor Park for next year.

That means North Shore is under no obligation to clear the former Western Bulldog and GWS Giant to his home club.

“I would say that the club’s pretty upset and people around the club are as well,” Purcell said.
“So at this stage, there won’t be any movement on the clearance.”
Purcell revealed the only contact he’d had with Darley since raising media reports the 25-year-old was returning home is via text message.
“No phone call, just a text after we spoke to their (North Hobart’s) president, so I think he (Craig Martin) might have even prompted the text message,” he said.
“Ten minutes after I spoke to the president, I got a text from Sam saying ‘sorry for what I’ve done … da dada’.
“That’s all I’ve got from him.”
With Mark McDowell now locked away as senior coach, Purcell says the committee that’s elected at Sunday’s annual general meeting will discuss what they want from Darley to secure his release.
Purcell says Darley didn’t owe the club financially and wasn’t paid any of his contract for 2019.
“We’ll have a committee meeting now it’s all settled down now,” Purcell said.
“We’ll sit down next week. Our AGM is on Sunday and we’ll have a chat when all the new committee is on board and take it from there.
“We don’t want it to be a distraction to ‘Macca’ (McDowell) and what he and the playing group want to do.
“We’ll work it out amongst ourselves.”
 Twitter: @tom_king79
  • 43
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •