K rock Football

Progress for Keasty


St Mary’s co-coach Glenn Keast. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

LOCAL football great Glenn Keast has been moved out of the ICU at Geelong’s University Hospital as he continues to take strides in his recovery from a cardiac arrest.

The St Mary’s premiership co-coach has been in hospital since collapsing during a Saints training session at Anthony Costa Oval on Saturday morning – the same day he turned 50.

“He was able to move out of the ICU yesterday (Tuesday) and get some of those more life-supporting system taken away from him,” co-coach Travis Robertson said.

“He’s up on the ward. I have seen a photo of him this morning, which was nice – he had a bit of a sly grin on his face.

“He’s certainly not completely out of the woods, but he’s in the mode where they need to do some further testing and diagnoses so that he can be on the road to recovery.

“The experts were meeting today (Wednesday) to discuss his case, and what they know, so they can determine a “move-forward” position.

Robertson said Keast’s wife Carolyn had been “blown away” by the support of the Geelong community.

“There’s been broad support from all walks of life; the sporting community, work community, all those things,” Robertson said.

“It’s touched her heart a lot, and she can’t thank everyone enough.

“And from a St Mary’s point-of-view, we’re really appreciative of how the community rallied around him and wanted to know how he is.”

St Mary’s returned to training for the first time since Keast’s incident on Tuesday night.

Robertson said news of his improvement ensured the mood was “upbeat” as the club commenced training in groups of 20 for the first time.

“We’ve done our best to keep the boys informed at every significant step over the last four days, so they’ve been in-tune with how Glenn’s going,” Robertson said.

“I thought the boys trained really well. It was nice to be closer to a group of 60 than where we were ten days ago.”

Twitter: @tom_king79