K rock Football

Young Hawk diagnosed with COVID

THE delayed start to the junior football season will still go ahead as planned this weekend despite an Inverleigh player testing positive for COVID-19.

The young Hawk is a member of the club’s under-13 team, and most recently came into contact with his teammates on Wednesday, July 8.

However, in a statement released on Thursday AFL Barwon, said it’s advice from Barwon Health to Inverleigh is that it’s “extremely unlikely the player was contagious at the time of training”.

“The health advice provided also states that the case is isolated to the Inverleigh Football Netball Club, and no other members of our region have been put at risk or come into contact with the case.,” the statement said.

“On the back of health and AFL Victoria advice, the return to play date for our region of July 18 for junior football and netball is still in place for near our near 500 registered junior teams.

“Inverleigh FNC’s Under 13 football side has been fixtured a bye this weekend and will not be in competition, whilst there are no matches fixtured at Inverleigh FNC this weekend.

“Inverleigh do not have any junior netball teams.”

The positive test comes just a few days after it was reported a family member of an Inverleigh under-13 player had tested positive to COVID-19.

AFL Barwon said the majority of players who trained on July 8 had been tested, with all results coming back negative.

Other age-group teams at Inverleigh can continue to train.

“The family with the positive test result has been in isolation since being notified of the first positive test result,” AFL Barwon said.

“They are in good spirits, and the IFNC and AFL Barwon have offered them our full support and wish them a speedy recovery.

“AFL Barwon stresses this situation is one being taken with extreme seriousness, so the safety of our members is never put at risk.

“We ensure everyone that the health and safety of our entire region is our number one priority through the COVID-19 period.”