K rock Football

COVID concern for Hawks

INVERLEIGH has revealed a family member of a junior player has tested positive to COVID-19.

The Hawks took to Facebook on Saturday afternoon to confirm the diagnoses of a person related to an under-13 team member.

“All appropriate steps in line with the COVID protocols have been followed and are currently taking place to ensure the safety of all our members and extended families,” the statement from the GDFL club said.

“The families of the players who attended under-13 training on Wednesday night have been notified directly by the club. The training attendance sheet has been shared with AFL Barwon who will work with DH(H)S if/where necessary.

“Further testing is taking place as a result and any impact on upcoming under-13’s training will be communicated to those families once we get more information on the situation.

“Although the risk of transmission, in this case, is very low due to the stringent protocols followed by IFNC, we encourage anyone showing symptoms to get tested.”

Inverleigh’s announcement comes after AFL Barwon confirmed earlier on Saturday that plans to start the under-19 and senior women’s seasons on the first weekend of August were on hold due to changes in the State Government’s return-to-play protocols.

It follows a surge in COVID-19 cases across the state.

“AFL Barwon believes there is a low risk of transmission due to the stringent protocols followed by Inverleigh FNC,” the local governing body said in a statement.

“AFL Barwon will continue to work closely with Inverleigh FNC, AFL Victoria and State Health bodies to ensure the situation is properly managed.

“Throughout the COVID-19 period, AFL Barwon has maintained its number one priority is the safety and health of members in our region, and it continues to be to ensure nobody is put at risk.

“AFL Barwon will continue to work with Inverleigh Football Netball Club throughout the process.”

Twitter: @tom_king79