K rock Football

Power fires up to beat Coutas

Tempers boil over in Newcomb’s win over Queenscliff. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

NEWCOMB has finally found itself on the right side of the ledger in a close match, overcoming Queenscliff by 11 points to keep its slim finals hopes alive.

With midfielder Steve Scolaro (knee) and ruck Kieren Bourke (hamstring) both done for the day by quarter time, the Power had to dig deep to overcome the Coutas at Grinter Reserve before prevailing, 12.9 (81) to 9.16 (70).

“The rotations were out of whack, and a couple of blokes (Richie Hollins and Corey Ogle) had to go and play in the ruck who are not really ruckmen, and they fared a pretty well,” coach Jye Walker said.

“A lot of the game without a ruckman and one of our prime movers, so I was really proud of the effort from the guys.”

Tensions boiled over in the third quarter, with Walker yellow-carded after stepping in the wake of an incident that left skipper Brenton Rees needing stitches for a cut over his eye.

Couta Justin Maher also spent 15 minutes off the ground.

“I don’t think it was warranted, but I got it anyway,” Walker said. “I got mine for pushing someone in the chest.

“The melee during the third quarter wasn’t a great look for either team, but it could have been avoided.

“That’s when Brenton came off needing stitches.

“It was a fiery game; sometimes in fiery games, things happen, and you’ve got to be able to move on.

“We had two on the bench. Myself and Reesy then had to go off.

“I don’t think we had a rotation for 15 minutes, and our boys were able to stand up, and that’s where we got a couple of goals and got a bit of excitement around the group.”

Jack Duke finished with four goals to take his season tally to 35, while Hollins and Elliott Taylor finished with two apiece.

Isaac McCabe was the only multiple goalkicker for the Coutas with two.


In other matches, Mat Hebbard was the difference as Drysdale made light work of an undermanned Barwon Heads by 76 points at Mortimer Oval, 18.12 (120) to 6.8 (44).

The veteran spearhead slotted seven goals to take his tally for the season to 60.

The performance has further enhanced the prospect of Hebbard becoming the first Hawk since Adam Richardson in 2003 to kick 100 goals in a season.

Nick Egan and Ben Fennell were also standouts for Drysdale.

With Nathan Brown sidelined, the Seagulls could manage just six goals for the contest, with Mitch Phelps contributing two.

Barwon Heads’ loss has left the door ajar for Modewarre to snatch third spot after the Warriors overcame a determined Anglesea for a 33-point win at Ellimatta Reserve.

After a 24-point quarter-time lead was cut to just 11 points at the main break, Modewarre was able to pull away again in the third term.

Despite kicking an inaccurate 3.10, they held the Roos to just one goal, which proved to be the difference in the 14.18 (102) to 10.9 (69) victory.

Tom Hornsey kicked three goals for the Warriors, while Ryan Williams did the same for Anglesea.

Torquay captain Ben Raidme has had a 100th game to remember after kicking six goals in the Tigers’ 152-point rout of Ocean Grove at McCartney Oval, 27.14 (176) to 3.6 (24).

Sheldon Ham also ran riot in front of goal with seven majors of his own, while Cal Currie, Paul McMahon and Clay Page each managed three.

Youngster Fletcher Keck and midfielder Tom Chalkey battled hard for the Grubbers.

Losses by Anglesea and Queenscliff have Geelong Amateur in the box seat to claim fifth spot following its 130-point hiding of Portarlington at Ron Evans Oval.

Spearheaded by veteran forward Kristian Bucovaz’s eight goals, Ammos comfortably claimed a 22.21 (153) to 3.5 (23) victory.

Lachie Hart finished with two of the Demons’ goals.

Twitter: @tom_king79