K rock Football

Milestone, then retirement, for Hawk

Adrian Robinson will retire following Drysdale’s final round clash with Modewarre this afternoon. (krockfootball.com.au Image/Al Packer)

ADRIAN Robinson’s 100th game for Drysdale will also be his last.

The veteran has confirmed he will call time on his impressive career, which also includes 170 games and two premierships at Newcomb, when the final siren sounds to end today’s clash with Modewarre at Community Bank Oval.

“It’s a good time to pull up (stumps),” Robinson, who turned 37 on Wednesday, said.

“It’s not injuries or anything like that, it’s just a good time.”

Robinson made the decision at the start of the season that 2017 would be his last, but entering the year on 84 matches, he didn’t think he’d get to 100 games in the brown and gold.

“I thought I’d probably play less than that, but the boys were telling me later on that I was close to it,” he said.

“I thought I did my calf three weeks ago, but I got some rubs and took a week off and will play the final four.”

A product of the now-defunct Eastern Colts Little League, Robinson was among a long line of players who found their way from Ervin Reserve to Grinter Reserve in Newcomb’s first 20 years, with lifelong friends Andrew and Terry Doyle vital in getting him to the then Dinosaurs.

He made his senior debut under Stephen Sells in 1997 as a 16-year-old and by the end of the millennium was a key member of the Power line-up.

Robinson then joined Newcomb teammate Damian Mahoney at Colac league club Forrest in 2003-04, before returning to Newcomb to play in their 2005 and 2007 flags.

“’05 was brilliant,” Robinson said of the 33-point win over Torquay, which snapped a 17-year premiership drought.

“Coming from where we’d come from, it was really good … everything just seemed to click.

“It was just a brilliant year. ’07 was good, but the first one’s always the best I think.”

Despite a mass exodus of players following the 2007 flag, Robinson remained in 2008, but in 2009 tried his hand at GFL level Newtown & Chilwell.

However, he would have to wait until 2010 to pull on an Eagles jumper.

“I did a full pre-season there, and in the first five minutes of a practise match against Ammos I did my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament),” Robinson said. “It was probably the fittest I’ve ever been.

“Tim Clark was leading out and I punched the ball away, and I came down and just snapped my ACL and tore of half of my medial (ligament).”

When he did return in 2010, he managed four senior games with the Eagles, but departed Elderslie Reserve in the middle of that season.

“We found out off the ultrasound our first child Cooper had a cleft lip, and we had a lot of lot of hospital visits and stuff like that, and I just couldn’t commit to it,” Robinson said.

“It just didn’t pan out right, but that happens.”

“Newtown were really good about it.”

Robinson played at Newcomb in 2011 but found his was to Drysdale in 2012 through a link with then-Hawks president Greg Scott.

“He works at Geelong Grammar and I visit him through (my) work, and he said “come down, no pressure”, Robinson recalled.

“I took a bit of time, had a couple of months to think about it, and said “yeah, why not?”.”

Robinson nearly added a third premiership medal to the collection, with Drysdale winning its way into the 2013 grand final against Queenscliff.

However, despite an upset win in the second semi-final, the Hawks couldn’t halt the Coutas’ charge to a hat-trick of flags.

“We were the only team to beat them, so we thought we were a show,” Robinson.

“(But) the second semi was probably our best game for the year and the grand final our worst.”

Robinson now considers himself both a Newcomb and Drysdale person.

“I love both of them,” he said.

“I’ve made lifelong friends at Newcomb that I still catch up with today.”

Twitter: @tom_king79

  • 199