K rock Football

Jones shocked by sacking

Former Ocean Grove coach Jordy Jones. (krockfootball.com.au Image/Al Packer)

JORDY Jones had no idea when he arrived at Ocean Grove training on Tuesday night that he would no longer be the coach of the club when he left Ray Menzies Oval.

The 29-year-old says he was blindsided by the decision by the Grubbers’ executive not to trigger a clause in his contract for him to go on in charge in 2020 and sack him on the spot.

Jones, who was appointed as Paul Lynch’s replacement last September, was overseeing training when he was called into a meeting with acting president Pete Smith and football director Liam Rock, who broke the news.

“It’s come as a shock to me; I had no idea it was coming,” Jones told krockfootball.com.au.

“I guess the club wanted to go in a different direction, which is a little bit disappointing because I’m only 12 games into my coaching career, and they didn’t put any faith in what I was doing and didn’t want to stick it out.”

A Grubber junior, who played two games with West Coast during three years with the Eagles from 2009-2011, Jones said he was given a chance to state his case to keep his job.

“But, I don’t think it was going to change anything; they had already made their decision, and few whispers are coming out that it was a decision coming out a few weeks ago,” he said.

“It’s been in motion for a couple of weeks by the sound of it.”

Jones is also disappointed any issues with his coaching wasn’t raised earlier.

“I work in the property investment industry, so I advise people to invest in property; Ocean Grove invested money in me to be their coach,” he said.

“Often I have clients asking, “what’s the key ingredient to investment?”, and we say to clients it’s time in the market.

“If you invest your money into this property, it needs time for it to work.

“Ocean Grove invested money in me and didn’t give me the time to grow in this role, and help change the culture of the footy club, and get it in a better direction.

“I don’t see sacking someone after 12 games when we’ve got a severe injury list with our top end players – take five or six players out of any side, and they will struggle results-wise, and the changes to professionalism and culture and those sorts of things.”

Jones was among the topline players sidelined, with a knee injury suffered in Round 3 ruling him out for the remainder of the season.

He admits that contributed to his downfall.

“That is a factor. They wanted me as a playing coach,” Jones said

Jones will play in 2020 but is unsure whether he will coach again.

“100 per cent, I’ll be playing again,” he said. “But, coaching, well, maybe not.

“I might go and play again, and whether that (includes) an assistant coaching role or a development coaching role, I’ll look at more options.

“Whether it’s another BFL side, or I go back into the GFL and go back to Newtown.

“They’re a couple of options I’ll take the time to think about over the next 3-4 months and make that call when it needs it.”

Twitter: @tom_king79
Email: [email protected]