K rock Football

Parsons among delistings

James Parsons in action during one of his four AFL games in 2019. (Sports Media Image/Marcel Berens)

JAMES Parsons is among three players told Geelong no longer requires their services.

Parsons, who played 35 games, but none this year, was shown the door along with uncapped duo Jacob Kennerley and rookie Blake Schlensog.

Selected in the 2016 Rookie Draft from the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup, he made his debut Round 3 of the following year, and by mid-season had signed a three-year contract extension.

He earned some early notoriety for an incident on Easter Monday involving Hawthorn great Luke Hodge that earned him a two-week suspension.

Parsons returned in Round 7 and played every game until being dropped after the Cats’ semi-final win over Sydney.

He made 11 appearances in 2018 and just four last year.

Kennerley and Schlensog both arrived at GMHBA Stadium during the 2018 draft period.

CATS: RAHILLY TAKES CROWS ROLE

Originally from Cummins Ramblers on the Eyre Peninsula, Kennerley was drafted with selection No.50 from SANFL club Norwood.

He played 18 games in the VFL last year and finished sixth in the Cats’ Vic Fuller Medal.

Schlensog, who played junior football in Geelong with both the Belmont Lions and Grovedale, was selected by Geelong as a Category B Rookie (NextGen Academy).

“James, Jacob and Blake have all grown as players and people during their time at the club, and we wish them well in their future endeavours,” football boss Simon Lloyd said.

“Once a Geelong player, always a Geelong player and they will always be welcome at the club”.

The delisting of Parsons, Kennerley and Schlensog takes to four the number of confirmed departures following the retirement of Gary Ablett.

Twitter: @tom_king79