K rock Football

New contract not a concern for Zach

DISCUSSIONS are ongoing, but Geelong defender Zach Tuohy isn’t expecting details on a contract extension to be finalised until mid-2020.

Tuohy, who turns 30 next Tuesday, signed a four-year deal when he arrived at GMHBA Stadium at the end of 2016.

“It is pretty consistent communication, so we will start now but I wouldn’t expect anything to happen until at least the mid part of the year,” Tuohy said.

“If something happens before then, that’s great, but it certainly won’t be panic stations from my end.

I expect to be playing beyond next year, and I understand the nature of the game that it doesn’t always work out, but signs are positive.”

After playing 143 consecutive matches in a streak starting in late 2012, off-season knee surgery delayed the Irishman’s start to the 2019 season.

He still managed to make 18 AFL appearances, but is looking forward to a clear run into next year.

“It was frustrating, but I have been really lucky with injuries, and I have never been injured for my whole career, so that was a challenge,” Tuohy said.

“With the benefit of hindsight, I have been able to manage my knee a lot better than I did last year.

“But I have had a solid off-season I gave my knee a lot of rest and got some running done towards the back end of the off-season, and now I am into full training, so I am pretty happy.”

Pushed forward at times late in the 2019 season, Tuohy expects to return to the defensive unit next year.

“I think I will be down back pretty much from the get go, and I was only swung forward when we had a few outs towards the end of the year,” he said.

Scarlo (assistant coach Matthew Scarlett) has always said, I thought jokingly, that I could play forward, which never really became a reality until late last year, but I am open to playing forward and enjoy it.

“It gives a different perspective and it is a different challenge, but I suspect I will be pretty much back the whole year of this year.”

Twitter: @tom_king79